ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

African Animals paintings


This was a painting project one of my mixed elective classes (Grade 4-6) recently finished.
Each student chose an African animal to draw. They could draw the whole body or simply a close-up portrait. On large heavy white paper, they measured a thick border (about 1.5 inches) using a ruler. 
I encouraged them to design a simple border. I had handouts with African patterns on them to help inspire. 


Once the border was designed, they drew their animal inside.


They used tempera tp paint these. It took quite a few classes due to the large format. 


Sometimes it's easier to work on the floor!


Once everything was painted and dry, students used a charcoal pencil to trace over all the lines and used a finger to smudge out the line. This added some soft texture and contrast.


Like I said, these took quite a while to complete, but we were all happy with the final result. 
I displayed these on easels at out school's musical production of "The Lion King". 



































2 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful work! I really like the addition of the African pattern borders.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sense of freedom and concentration. The patterns were unique to the child.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...