ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wayne Thiebaud Dessert Paintings


Grade 10 students learned about the art of American Pop artist Wayne Thiebaud. I brought in a bunch of cupcakes and donuts and the students spent some time drawing and shading them in their sketchbooks first. Then they started with acrylics- mixing colors, building up layers and shading and highlighting. Some used acrylic thickener medium to give a real impasto effect to the frosting.




These cupcakes remained scarily 'preserved' for the two weeks that we used them....







mixing different tints to get realistic shading for the pink frosting

adding the white highlights last


Great job Grade 10's!



glued on real sprinkles





detail showing the actual thick texture

 




3 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

I just stayed up way to late looking at your blog. I'm so glad I have found it. I have placed you on my blog roll. You students have some REAL quality work. Very nice! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and steps. Come check out my blog, maybe you might be interested in trading with my class.

MiniMatisse.blogspot.com

Miss said...

Thanks so much, Mrs. Hahn!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss,

I’m the Community Manager with Anagram Interactive, where we specialize in connecting established brands with prominent bloggers. We’re currently working with Paperless Post, a company that designs customizable online and printed stationery, to show that communication can be personal and well-designed regardless of the medium.

Paperless Post has partnered with several world-famous designers and lifestyle brands, including kate spade new york, Oscar de la Renta, Jonathan Adler, and Rifle Paper Co., and has delivered over 85 million cards to date. Since you have such an engaging and beautifully-designed blog, we’d like to offer you 1000 Paperless Post digital Coins (a $100 value) for free to try out our online service and write about your experience.

We really think you’ll enjoy Paperless Post and can’t wait to hear what you think. Please let me know if this is something you’d be interested in and I’ll show you how to get started.

Best,
Helen
helen@anagraminteractive.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...